Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Happenings

We went to Coppercreek this week to see what's been going on since last time and I have to say, not much is happening in that part of our world.

I like this guy's marketing plan....just find what appears to be a building site and nail your card to a tree on the property.  If we hadn't almost narrowed down our list of potential builders, we might have been interested.

The first day we ever worked at Coppercreek, I came prepared to kill some snakes.  I brought a BB gun, a .22, and a hoe.  But we didn't see one single snake!  Not one!!  I can't tell you how disappointed I was.   Well, this week Brad moved a piece of wood and there was our first snake.  At first we thought he was already dead since he just laid there for pictures.  But Brad got him stirred up and he started moving. Fast!

Wouldn't you know we were up there with ZERO weapons this time so Brad had to kill him with a rock.  This guy was every bit the size of a #2 pencil so I can only imagine what would have happened if he had gotten away.  He was a Ringneck snake and we learned online afterwards that he is harmless to humans and likes to kill other snakes.  He and his family are probably the reason we haven't seen any other snakes around.   On the other hand, have you ever noticed that "they" always say a certain snake kills other snakes?  Herpetologists would probably say that about a King Cobra just so we'd be fooled and think they're good to have around.

And just for the record, I do know that it is illegal to kill snakes in AR but this one did pose a reasonable threat to humans, so that makes it legal.  

If you were to ask Brad what he likes most about Coppercreek, I believe he would say it's the deer that made these tracks.  It had rained on Sunday so there were tracks everywhere in the soft dirt.  We even saw a few deer while we were walking toward the back of the property but I didn't have my camera with me then.  Always prepared, that's us!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment